The Sixteenth Meeting of States Parties
The Sixteenth Meeting of States Parties (16MSP) to the Mine Ban Treaty will take place from 18 to 21 December 2017 at the UN Office at Vienna, Austria.
2017 marks 20 years since the Mine Ban Treaty was adopted, when the international community agreed to end the scourge of landmines once and for all. Following the adoption, on 3 December 1997 the treaty was signed by 122 States; it entered into force on 1 March 1999. To date, 162 nations have formally joined the treaty. The 16MSP provides a good opportunity for the international community to take stock of what have been achieved so far and to reaffirm commitments for a mine-free world by 2025.
His Excellency Thomas Hajnoczi, Ambassador of Austria to the United Nations in Geneva is the President of the 16MSP. Ambssador Hajnoczi will focus on Universalization, Victim Assistance and Mine Clearance of the Mine Ban Treaty. Click here to read Ambassador Hajnoczi's priorities for the 16MSP.
Note verbale by the UN Secretary-General
16MSP provisional agenda in Arabic, Chines, English, French, Russian and Spanish
16MSP provisional programme of work Arabic, Chines, English, French, Russian and Spanish
- Requests for extensions on mine clearance deadlines by Angola, Ecuador, Iraq, Thailand, Ukraine and Zimbabwe
- For other formal documents including information for participants, preparatory meetings and registration click here
- Download the 'Finish the Job 2025' logo
- ICBL’s 20th anniversary video
- Mine Ban Treaty status
- The Landmine Monitor website
- Maputo Action Plan (MAP) and Maputo +15 Declaration
- How states can take action to finish the job
- All ICBL campaign materials can be found in the resources section of the ICBL website.
- Landmine Monitor 2017 report will be launched on 14 December 2017. Journalists can get in touch, by firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +41 22 920 0320 (Geneva).
Media and communications
- For media enquiries please contact:Firoz Alizada, ICBL Campaigns and Communications Manager. Email: email@example.com, T: +41 22 920 03 20, M: +41 78 65 77 331
- ICBL Twitter: https://twitter.com/minefreeworld
ICBL Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/minefreeworld
ICBL Flickr: http://bit.ly/20rgaBN
ICBL YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UConje8PMHNFOSR_eGjI5QiA
ICBL campaigners meeting Austrian Ambassador, the President of the 16th Meeting of States Parties to the Mine Ban Treaty, 1 December 2016, Santiago, Chile ©ICBL
In run-up to the Vienna meeting:
The Second International Pledging Conference
His Excellency Ambassador Thomas Hajnoczi, Ambassador of Austria to the United Nations in Geneva and President of the 16th Meeting of States Parties convened the Second International Pledging Conference for the Implementation of the Mine Ban Treaty on 28 February at the UN office in Geneva.
ICBL staff members, Ms. Amelie Chayer and Mr. Firoz Alizada spoke on current implementation challenges and status of funding for mine action.
ICBL and its members Handicap International (HI) and Mines Advisory Group (MAG) urged all States Parties to provide sufficient funding to meet treaty commitments and obligations by the year 2025.
© ICBL, 28 February 2017
Report of the Conference can be found on the Mine Ban Treaty's website.