International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL)
Printer Friendly VersionTell a friend about this page

News Articles

Articles here date back to 1998 when the ICBL website was first launched.

(17/10/2012, last updated: 17/10/2012) Read more » ( English )


Veteran ICBL campaigner Mary Wareham shares experiences from 16 years with the campaign

To launch ICBL’s 20th anniversary celebrations, and the countdown to the 15th Anniversary of the signing of the lifesaving Mine Ban Treaty, we are profiling a selection of our amazing ICBL campaigners and their work.

We kick off with veteran ICBL campaigner Mary Wareham, Senior Advisor to the Human Rights Watch Arms Division and coordinator of the Aotearoa New Zealand Cluster Munition Coalition.

For more information on our anniversary activities and how you can get involved and join the celebrations click our 20th anniversary logo on the left of this page. Help us celebrate with action!

(15/10/2012, last updated: 15/10/2012) Read more » ( English )


ICBL-CMC Newsletter: 6th edition

The sixth edition of the ICBL-CMC newsletter includes news on anticipated clearance completion announcements, ICBL's visit to Sengal, and more as well as news from national campaigns. Read it online here.

(02/10/2012, last updated: 09/11/2012) Read more » ( English )


Meet the landmine survivors who competed at the London Paralympics

Ermin Jusufovic - Bosnian gold medalist - London 2012 Paralympics

Several landmine survivors took part in the inspirational London Paralympic Games in the last two weeks, proving alongside hundreds of fellow competitors that what the rest of the world might think is impossible is actually quite the opposite.

All the survivors who took part were from heavily mine-infested countries: Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Turkey, where millions of people still live with the daily threat of landmines and other explosive remnants of war.

(09/09/2012, last updated: 14/09/2012) Read more » ( English )


Syrian opposition forces urged not to use landmines

© 2012 Human Rights Watch.  This Soviet/Russian-made PMN-2 antipersonnel blast mine removed from the ground in Syria near its border with Turkey contains 100 grams of TG-40 explosive and cannot be disarmed once emplaced.

(Geneva, 2 August 2012): The International Campaign to Ban Landmines is deeply concerned by recent claims that the Free Syrian Army (FSA) – the main armed opposition group currently fighting the Syrian government – intends to use landmines in armed conflict against the Assad regime.

On Wednesday 1 August 2012 an Al Jazeera report featured a statement from a combatant who said he was with the rebel group, and that the FSA would re-use antipersonnel mines that they have lifted from minefields laid by Syrian government troops near the Turkish border earlier this year.

(02/08/2012, last updated: 03/08/2012) Read more » ( English )


ICBL Afghan campaigner wins Emerging Peace Champion award 2012

(Geneva, 2 August 2012): This week the N-Peace, a multi-country network to strengthen the role of women in building and restoring peace, announced that Ms. Amina Azimi from Afghanistan as the winner of the Emerging Peace Champion Award 2012.

The award aims to support the emerging leadership of young women who can motivate other young people to get involved in peace building.

(02/08/2012, last updated: 02/08/2012) Read more » ( English )


Last major state user of landmines to join landmine ban treaty?

Mu Che (27) “I lived in Loh Boo village in Hpa-an District, Karen State. When I was 11 years old I stepped on a mine while I was looking after a cow. In my village there is still armed conflict now”. (c) Giovanni Diffidenti/Di+ onlus

(Geneva, Friday 13 July 2012): In an unprecedented statement yesterday, Myanmar’s Minister of Foreign Affairs said that the government is considering banning antipersonnel landmines. This message gives hope for thousands in the country still living in the deadly shadow of these weapons.

Kasia Derlicka, ICBL director, said: “Never before have any of Myanmar’s officials directly said that they would consider banning landmines by joining the Mine Ban Treaty. While we welcome this announcement we also want to see these words followed by actions very soon. As we have been saying for many years, halting use of mines and joining the Treaty are vital first steps to putting a final end to the landmine threat.”

View a collection of incredible photographs of landmine survivors in Burma, taken by photographer Giovanni Diffidenti last October, on our photo gallery page.

(13/07/2012, last updated: 13/07/2012) Read more » ( English )


ICBL-CMC Newsletter: 5th edition

The fifth edition of the ICBL-CMC newsletter celebrates all sub-Saharan African states having now banned anti-personnel mines and reports back from the Intersessional Meetings in Geneva, as well as news from national campaigns. Read it online here

(09/07/2012, last updated: 09/07/2012) Read more » ( English )


Danish coastline declared clear of WWII antipersonnel landmines

(Geneva, 5 July 2012): Denmark’s Minister of Transport declared the country clear of antipersonnel landmines at a ceremony in Copenhagen today.

Danish authorities said that the final areas of mined land were cleared in June 2012.

“It is great that Denmark has finally got rid of this 60-year-old deadly legacy, just ahead of the 1 July clearance deadline it had to meet,” said Firoz Alizada, ICBL Campaign Manager.

(05/07/2012, last updated: 05/07/2012) Read more » ( English )


ICBL keeps pushing MBT States Parties to improve landmine clearance plans

Under the Mine Ban Treaty, the lifesaving ban that the ICBL helped bring about, states contaminated by landmines have 10 years from the date they join treaty to ensure all mined areas are cleared, with the goal of making the land safe for all as quickly as possible.

Read more about the work the ICBL does to push states, and the international community, to stick to this goal and what the Treaty says about landmine clearance in this short article.

(26/06/2012, last updated: 26/06/2012) Read more » ( English )


More Vigilance Needed on Global Landmine Ban

ICBL Policy Director Tamar Gabelnick delivers a statement on behalf of the campaign, as assembled delegates look on. (c) Stephane de Greef / ICBL

(Geneva, 25 May 2012): A meeting of nearly 100 states and dozens of international organisations to discuss progress on the global ban on antipersonnel landmines ended today with both good and bad news.

While celebrating landmine-affected Somalia becoming the 160th State Party to the Mine Ban Treaty this week, the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL) has also been compelled to raise alarm bells at the conference.

(25/05/2012, last updated: 23/07/2012) Read more » ( English )


Somalia bans antipersonnel landmines, despite ongoing conflict

All sub-Saharan African nations now on board the Mine Ban Treaty

(Geneva, 22 May 2012): Somalia has become the 160th State Party to the Mine Ban Treaty, the United Nations confirmed today.

This morning the news was announced to delegates from more than 95 countries, assembled in Geneva for a global conference to discuss progress on the landmine ban.

(22/05/2012, last updated: 24/07/2012) Read more » ( English )


ICBL-CMC Newsletter: 4th edition

The fourth edition of the ICBL-CMC newsletter gives information on the upcoming Intersessional Meeetings in Geneva, highlights from the Global Lend your Leg action and information on the ICBL's 20th anniversary. Read it online here.

(18/05/2012, last updated: 18/05/2012) Read more » ( English )


20 years in the life of a Nobel Peace Prizewinning campaign

The below chronology shows how the ICBL kick started the global movement to ban landmines, and how the campaign's diverse global members play a vital role - both then and now - in driving the world forward to achieve the movement's humanitarian aims.

(17/05/2012, last updated: 15/10/2012) Read more » ( English )


ICBL-CMC newsletter: 3rd edition (April 2012)

ICBL gears up for the Lend your Leg global month of action. ICBL and governments around the world condemn Syria's use of landmines and Jordan’s announces that all its known mined areas have been cleared.

(16/04/2012, last updated: 16/04/2012) Read more » ( English )