In less than 1 month, the Mine Ban Treaty Intersessional Standing Committees Meetings (ISC) will take place in Geneva, Switzerland. You will find below some useful logistics information you may need to attend these meetings.
The Intersessional Standing Committees Meetings will take place from 25 - 29 May 2009 at the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD), Avenue de la Paix 7bis (WMO Building), Geneva, Switzerland.
Background documents for the meeting are available here.
1. Invitation and Registration
The ICBL invitation for non sponsored participants has been sent on Friday 24 May to the ICBL Network. If you are an ICBL member and wish to attend the meetings but didn't receive the invitation, please contact Olivia Denonville at oliviaSPAMFLTER@SPATMFLTERicbl.org or at +41 (0)22 920 03 25. Please note that invitations to sponsored participants have already been sent individually.
Please note that the deadline to register for the ISC Meetings is: 11 May 2009
All members of the ICBL delegation must register with the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) by 11 May 2009. Please register online here.
If this option is not open to you, or should you encounter any difficulties in registering online, please send the registration form (attached) to the GICHD by fax at: +41 (0) 22 906 16 90
When registering online and in order to be part of the ICBL Delegation, please insert the following:
- Under “Name of organization” please enter “ICBL – name of your organization” e.g. “ ICBL – Australian Network to Ban Landmines” or “ ICBL – Norwegian People’s Aid” and so on.
- Once you have receive confirmation of your registration with the GICHD, please forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we can prepare the list of participants accordingly.
Participants are responsible for applying for all visas required to travel to and enter Switzerland. If you need a visa to enter Switzerland or a transit visa apply for it immediately. Please note that Switzerland is now part of the Schengen area. You can visit the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs website where you will find information about visa applications and the list of Swiss representations abroad.
You can down-load the visa application form on the web-page of the Federal Office of Migration where you can find as well further information about the entry to Switzerland.
Please bring the Invitation Letter from Ambassador Streuli and Ambassador Husy as well as your ICBL invitation to the ISC with you when applying for visas. If you have any difficulties in applying for visas please contact Olivia Denonville at oliviaSPAMFLTER@SPATMFLTERicbl.org
· For ICBL sponsored participants
Most of the sponsored participants will stay at the Hotel International and Terminus. Due to budget constraints, and in order to offer as many campaigners as possible the opportunity to participate in the ISC, sponsored participants may be asked to share a room with another campaigner of the same gender. If you would prefer to stay in a single room, the ICBL will cover the cost of a shared standard double room, and you will be responsible for covering the additional charges. Please note that the ICBL will only cover your accommodation costs, and that you must pay for all extra expenses such as telephone calls, internet access, mini-bar, laundry, etc. Please send us your travel details as soon as possible and no later than 11 May 2009 to oliviaSPAMFLTER@SPATMFLTERicbl.org.
· For ICBL non-sponsored participants:
The ICBL is in contact with various hotels in Geneva, which you will find listed below. You may contact these hotels directly in order to book your accommodation. To benefit from ICBL’s special rates, please mention that you are part of the ICBL delegation when making your booking but please note that we do NOT have a block booking and that prices may vary upon availability. Prices may range from 150CHF to 180CHF per night for a single room, and from 170CHF to 220CHF per night for a double room.
Please note that the Hotel may ask you for a credit card number in order to guarantee your reservation. Please note that the ICBL cannot guarantee rooms for non sponsored participants.
You may contact the following hotels:
Hotel International and Terminus***
20, rue des Alpes
CH-1201 Geneva, Switzerland
Tel.: +41 (0)22 906 97 77
Fax: +41 (0)22 906 97 78
23, Rue des Alpes
CH-1201 Geneva, Switzerland
Tel.: +41 (0)22 732 08 40
Fax: +41 (0)22 738 25 11
Hotel Ibis Centre Gare**
10, rue Voltaire
CH-1201 Geneva, Switzerland
Tel : +41 (0)22 3382020
Fax : +41 (0)22 3382030
Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com, should you encounter any difficulties in making your hotel reservation.
In Geneva, you are responsible for your own transportation to the Hotel and to all the meeting venues unless previously agreed with the ICBL. Please note that Geneva has a very efficient public transportation system.
From the Geneva airport you may take bus number 10 or the train to Geneva city centre. All trains stop at Geneva-Cornavin station(city centre).
· Passengers holding a valid plane ticketcan pick up a FREE ticket for public transport from the machine in the baggage collection area at the Arrival level. This ticket, offered by Geneva International Airport, allows you to use public transport in Geneva free for a period of 80 minutes.
· The "Geneva Transport Card" for all participants staying in a Hotel: Geneva Hotels offer a "Geneva Transport Card" to their guests for the whole duration of their stay. You may collect your card at the hotel reception upon check-in. This card is free of charge.
N.B.: You may visit the Geneva Public Transport website.
The Intersessional Standing Committee Meetings will take place at the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD); World Meteorological Organization (WMO) building, Avenue de la Paix 7bis, Geneva, Switzerland.
From the "Cornavin" train station you may use the following buses/trams:
· Bus 1 direction "Jardin Botanique" and get off at the stop Jardin Botanique. The WMO building is on your left side.
· Tram 13 or 15 direction Nations and get off at France, on the right you will see the WMO building. Walk down the stairs on your right and cross the parking lot toward the large green glass building, the WMO building.
6. Reimbursements (for ICBL sponsored participants)
· Please fill out the ICBL Registration Form that you have received with your invitation and provide your full travel details and estimated costs by 11th May 2009 or we will not be able to guarantee reimbursement.
· We will be issuing per diems and travel reimbursements throughout the week. A reimbursements schedule will be available in your welcome pack.
· To receive your per diem you must provide the ICBL with your boarding passes, photocopy of your plane ticket, and copy of all other travel receipts. We cannot provide reimbursement for expenses without receipts. Once we receive your receipts, your per diem will be issued. The per diem rate is 60.- CHF per day/30.- CHF per half day (arrival after 12h00, departure before 12h00). Per diems will be provided in Swiss Francs.
· The ICBL will reimburse the following costs: economy round-trip plane ticket to Geneva, local transportation to/from airport in country of origin, airport departure taxes and visa expenses.
· The ICBL will directly cover the cost of accommodation in Geneva.
· The ICBL will NOT cover these costs: travel insurance, additional expenses in hotel rooms such as laundry, mini bar service, telephone calls, internet, faxes, and taxi fares or for extended stays before or after meetings.
· If you must spend a night in transit at a hotel you must confirm with the ICBL in advance. For expenses during travel such as meals during layovers, the ICBL will reimburse up to the equivalent of one day per diem for meals on a case-by-case basis.
7. ICBL Activities
· ICBL informal gathering on Sunday 24 May
On the eve of the ISC all ICBL campaigners and friends are invited to join us for an informal gathering on Sunday 24 May 2009 starting from 6.00pm. Location will be confirmed soon.
· ICBL Side Events
If you are planning to organize a side event or an exhibition, please contact Olivia Denonville by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at +41(0)22 920 01 15 before 30 April 2009. Please note that due to space constraints, we might not be able to give a positive answer to your request.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or at +41 (0)22 920 03 25 or +41 (0)78 606 37 07 should you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in Geneva!
The ICBL Staff