States Parties 161 States Not Party 36
The ICBL can provide multi-lingual interviews and quotes with landmine survivors, treaty experts and specialists in landmine clearance, victim assistance, mine ban policy and global campaigning.
Please contact us to request an interview, or for any information about landmines and the Mine Ban Treaty:
Jared BlochMedia and Communications Manager
ICBL-CMC 9, rue de Cornavin 1201 GenevaSwitzerland
Tel: +41-22-920-0320
Mobile: +41-78-683-4407
Email: jared@icblcmc.org
EU-Wide Mine Ban a Reality, Five More Mine-Free Countries, Following Mine Ban Treaty Conference
(Geneva, 7 December) – Poland’s announcement of the country’s imminent ratification of the Mine Ban Treaty, made at the Twelfth Meeting of States Parties (12MSP), highlighted the strength and momentum of the Mine Ban Treaty on its 15th anniversary.
Finish the job! Says Nobel Prize winning campaign on 15th anniversary of Ban Mine Treaty
(Geneva 3 December 2012): Nobel peace laureate Jody Williams, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL) campaigners, and landmine survivors from nearly 40 countries are calling on governments to commit to eradicating antipersonnel landmines in years, not decades. The call comes at the opening of the Twelfth Meeting of States Parties (12MSP) to the Mine Ban Treaty, taking place from 3-7 December in Geneva. More than 100 governments are expected to participate.
12th Meeting of States Parties to the Mine Ban Treaty
On 3 December, exactly 15 years after the Mine Ban Treaty was opened for signature in Ottawa, Canada, governments, international agencies, and civil society will gather in Geneva for the treaty’s 12th Meeting of States Parties (12MSP). It is a chance for the international community to assess efforts to implement the treaty and the Cartagena Action Plan and to identify challenges and discuss plans how to fulfill these commitments by the treaty’s next review conference.
Landmine Monitor Report 2012 Released Globally, Geneva, 29 November 2012
The report reveals landmine use by governments at low point in 2012, mine clearance funding at record level; assistance to landmine survivors still a challenge.
Landmine Monitor 2012 covers landmine ban policy, use, production, trade, and stockpiling for every country in the world, and also includes information on landmine and explosive remnant of war contamination, casualties, clearance, and victim assistance. The report focuses on calendar year 2011, with information included up to October 2012 when possible.
Humanitarian Disarmament Campaigns Summit, New York, 20-21 October 2012
The Summit Communiqué issued by 31 non-governmental organizations, including ICBL and CMC, calls for strong disarmament initiatives driven by humanitarian imperatives to strengthen international law and protect civilians.
2012: The ICBL's 20th Birthday
This year is the 20th anniversary of the creation of the Nobel Peace Prizewinning International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL) - a momentous time for our many global members, partner agencies and the governments who have worked with us over the years to achieve our aim of a world free of landmines.
20 years in the life of a Nobel Peace Prizewinning campaign
Syrian opposition forces urged not to use landmines
(Geneva, 2 August 2012): The International Campaign to Ban Landmines is deeply concerned by recent claims that the Free Syrian Army (FSA) – the main armed opposition group currently fighting the Syrian government – intends to use landmines in armed conflict against the Assad regime.
On Wednesday 1 August 2012 an Al Jazeera report featured a statement from a combatant who said he was with the rebel group, and that the FSA would re-use antipersonnel mines that they have lifted from minefields laid by Syrian government troops near the Turkish border earlier this year.
Last major state user of landmines to join landmine ban treaty?
(Geneva, Friday 13 July 2012): In an unprecedented statement yesterday, Myanmar’s Minister of Foreign Affairs said that the government is considering banning antipersonnel landmines. This message gives hope for thousands in the country still living in the deadly shadow of these weapons.
View a collection of incredible photographs of landmine survivors in Burma, taken by photographer Giovanni Diffidenti last October.
Landmine and Cluster Munition Monitor is the research arm of the ICBL and its sister campaign, the Cluster Munition Coalition. The Landmine Monitor provides accurate and in-depth statistics and analysis on the global landmine situation, including the most recent casualty data, evidence of use, updates on clearance and global support for mine action. It is widely considered the most authoritative source for this information anywhere.
Landmine Monitor Fact Sheets
Landmine Monitor Country Profiles: detailed information on the landmine and cluster munition situation in every country of the world.
Landmine Monitor 2012: latest major findings
Facts about the ICBL and the Mine Ban Treaty